Playa Carrillo

Playa Carrillo

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day in the life of Marilyn


On Tuesday I joined Marilyn on her long day of Bible studies. She moved here from San Jose CR and is a regular pioneer. Last time we were here she was having all the gringos help her learn English. I was so amazed when I came back, she was fluent! She is 22 and single and that probably has a lot to do with it. Well anyway, she wanted to show me an authentic day in service working with the locals. That meant that I left the house at 7 am to walk a hour to the service meeting in Samara. By then it's already 90 degrees and I was totally hot and sweaty. I had to cross the river on foot, so at least that cooled me down a little.

First we walked to an area known as Matupalo right on the beach. This is a very traditional neighborhood with loud music playing, kids and chickens running around and very simple concrete houses. Our first study was with a woman who makes whoever is hanging out on her porch when we get there, join in on the study. So this particular time it was her husband and daughter and a neighbor and her daughter. The neighbor was very interested and will join in again next week. After the study they served us "refrescos" a mayonnaise sandwich (yes, that's right) and a drink of fresh orange and brown sugar. I was wondering how many of these mayonnaise sandwiches I was going to have to eat before this day was over!



Next we walked to another study with a young mother and her baby. They had just finished a palm tree thatched cover for the porch, this was exciting because now we didn't have to sit in the sun. An old man in the house told us she would be home in a few minutes and to wait in the shade. We waited and waited and she never showed up so we had to keep moving on.


From there we crossed the dirt road unto the beach and walked across the beach to another town on the other side. This is definitely a shortcut and it is awesome to be walking in the sand getting your feet wet while out in service. This Bible study wasn't home either! So like a hour of walking for nothing. So we took a break, bought a pineapple and rested up. Then we had to jump on the bus and go inland a little up into the low mountains. It was beautiful, very green valleys with palm trees and banana trees and simple little Tico houses. Here we studied with a young woman and her mother. We sat outside and there was a very nice breeze and they picked oranges from the tree for us. Well the study went a little to long and we missed the bus. So we had to wait  1 1/2 hours for the next bus. We just went back to the study and hung out talking and drinking  strawberry kool aid and eating cookies. By the time we made it back to Samara it was 5:40 pm. It gets dark at 6 pm and of course I forgot my flashlight that morning. Marilyn was house sitting in Samara that night so we parted ways and I was going to have to walk alone back to Esterones, the town we live in. The only thing, and it scared me to death, was that I was going to have to cross the river in the dark and that I wouldn't see the huge crocodile before it ate me up. I practically ran to the river so I would a least have a little light before it was pitch black at 6:30 pm. I took off my shoes, said a prayer and crossed at a shallow area that went to just below my knees. Phew, made it in one piece to the other side. There was a herd of cows walking back to Esterones also which was comforting- I knew they knew where they were going in the dark,  and I just walked with them back to the main road.

I finally made it home at 7 pm exhausted. Marty had realized I had forgot a flashlight, so he put Finn on his back and they went looking for me. We walked the rest of the way together and I told them about my exciting day. I cannot wait to do it again!!!

So I guess the purpose of this story is that brothers and sisters in Latin america give new meaning to a long day in service. The self sacrifice involved is inspirational and I promise not to complain about my day in service with a car anymore. What if we had walked all day and none of her calls and studies had been home? They don't give up and they do it all over again the next day. Hopefully I learn something from this and apply it to my own life. Maybe I'll even learn to love mayonnaise sandwiches!

1 comment:

  1. Now that was a nice experience. Realistic with some not at homes AND still a very productive day.

    I'm gonna read this experience to my wife tomorrow and will keep checking back but I have one question. How much can a family of 3, living very conservatively (I'm talking bare bones and seriously roughing it - no joke) expect to spend per month on food/rent/transportation in rural Costa Rica?

    We are trying to "count the costs" for a 4 to 12 week visit per the recent article on Stepping over to Macedonia. Any help would give us a general idea. Thanks in advance.

    Sincerely,

    A brother in Colorado

    ReplyDelete