Playa Carrillo

Playa Carrillo

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Beach Trip




After service today and after a nap, we all went down to "Mel Gibson Beach." It's the next beach over about 2 miles from us and it's where Mel Gibson owns a lot of land and built a house. It was a very beautiful beach with lots of shade from palm trees for the kids. We watched an amazing sunset. Here's some pictures of Finn, since I'm sure grandparents must really miss his "finny face."
That evening is when things got exciting! We went to dinner in town about 5 miles away on our potholed dirt road all the way down and couldn't get the car to start to get us home. We walked to the main road in Samara to get a taxi. No taxi would take us across the river, so we agreed to be dropped off at the river and walk the rest of the way. So with 4 kids at 9 pm and pitch black (there are no road lights of any kind or for that matter phone lines) we crossed the knee deep river on foot. We still had a few miles to go, it was like hiking through the woods at night with no flashlight. Fortunately David and Amber had learned about a shortcut straight up the hill a few days before. That saved us about a hour of walking with tired children and Finn asking us if snakes and alligators were going to eat us. We made it home tired and sweaty and figured it was just another adventure in Costa Rica, wonder what will be next?

3 comments:

  1. Just want you to know that we are proud of you for expanding your service to Jehovah. It won't always be easy (as we can see) but the rewards will more than make up for any problems that come along. Of course, I worry about the scorpions and snakes, etc. but I know you'll be careful! Tell our favorite little blonde angel hola and nos encanta poco uno. lovenue grammy y papá

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds like an Adventure! Knee High River, Dark, snakes, or Worse Frogs!!!!Sounds like a Perfect Adventure for you Candace. I'm glad Finn is feeling better. The pictures are fantastic!! Sure beats working in Portland doesn't it. Well, I have to tell you that I am proud of you as well. Maybe not the same kind of Adventure I am interested in but I am very proud of you and Marty. You're going to have a wonderful time. I'll be sure to work on getting those survival kits ready for you. Ha Ha. I have a lot to tell you but I'll email you instead so that I don't tell my personal business to everyone. I love you and miss you with all my heart. February there are a lot of trips with Portland layovers. I just don't think I could bare it without you guys there. I think I'll avoid them. Take care honey, I love you all.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Candace,
    Finn looks so cute. I still can't believe you walked through the water in the dark with the kids. Sounds scary.
    I feel spoiled. Went out in service today I've been complaining about too much rain, stopped at Starbuck's for tea before we started our return visits while we drove around in the car. I'll share your story out in service friday so we can all appreciate what we have a little more.
    Take Care. Love You all!

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete